Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The calm after the storm

I want to thank everyone for their words of comfort, support, grounding, and even a much needed kick in the hind end after my post yesterday. It has been much appreciated, and it helps alot to feel loved and cared about. Things are better today: the air has been cleared in a few places, and in others the turbulence is back to where it belongs and is being contained. Stress over finals is being managed, kids are getting back into their routines, and the sun is shining, at least for now both in reality and metaphorically.

I just got a call from the shop and my van needs $400 worth of exhaust work, along with a quick fix on the shifter in the steering column (it's been dangerously loose and I have been worried about it slipping out of gear). It's do-able, and I will soon have my own vehicle back on the road. Thank God! We had heard it might be as much as $1000 dependent on what needed replacement, so the news is good! (It's seriously not worth putting a grand into fixing it--we'd be better off spending that on another beater!). They said it would be ready to pick up later today. I will be mobile again! Here's to hoping gas prices stay reasonable so that it's worth having it out and about!

Eric had a PT test last night prior to starting his shift: he did (if I remember correctly) 47 push ups in 42 seconds, and 50 sit ups in just over 60 seconds, not bad for a 41 year old... He says he won't be happy if it takes him the maximum 11 minutes to run a mile (heeheehee). He is preparing to head for his federal police academy training in just a bit under 2 weeks, and is also working hard to be sure I have everything I need before he goes. He's such a good man! He works yet tonight, then has a couple of days off. I hope we can squeeze in a date night somewhere in there. We did go out with another couple on Saturday night, which was fun, but we need some "us" time too. That has been few and far between of late with all that has been going on.

Anyhow, thanks again for all the support. I do appreciate it and it has helped alot! As my friends have said, this too shall pass and we'll look back on it and smile (I hope).

No comments: