Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Grrrrrr another Ice Day and NO SCHOOL!

I was awakened at 5:30 this morning by Brianne asking for a ride to work because we had experienced an overnight of freezing rain... I got up, headed outside, and slid down the sidewalk to the car, then down the driveway as I attempted to get the driver's door open... I started the car to let it start defrosting, and headed inside to wake Eric--I was afraid to tackle the ice myself and it was glazed ice as far as I could see... Brie and Eric got the ice scraped off, and I rode along with to Krispy Kreme as I was already up and dressed; we heard there were multiple accidents on the freeways in St Louis, including a few that were totally closed, and that there were school closings being announced as well... The roads, once we were on the main drags and the freeway were wet but not horrible, but I was still glad I wasn't behind the wheel. We got Brie to work about 10 minutes late, then got home about ten to seven, to find NO ONE was up yet or ready for school (they usually leave the house just before 7 if they walk). Aurora looked up online to see if Mascoutah was on the closed list, and it wasn't (although neighboring communities were), so they all quickly dressed, grabbed donuts, and Eric drove them to school. Only to find there were closed notices on the doors and they were locked tight... Oh Joy!

The kids have napped some (Aurora has a cold, Eric sounds congested but denies being "sick", and I have been sneezing my fool head off and wiping a runny nose...), played video games (the Wii is getting a good workout today), and Rei's girlfriend was dropped off here with more games about an hour ago. It just feels noisy and confined and chaotic to a small degree... Cliff and I were planning a run over to SWIC to see about getting him enrolled and trying to find a work-around for his financial aid app given he has no access to his parent's financial info for the forms, but given the roads (which should be fairly melted by now) I am guessing we will wait on that til tomorrow. It's been fairly stressful around here in that he and Brianne have decided to take a break from their relationship, something that has been building for a while now and came to a head over the weekend, and Eric and I have made a point of saying we won't be taking sides, nor will we be removing "parental" support from either of them. It has taken a toll on all of us though, and (in my opinion) has triggered memories (for the kids especially) of when things changed with their mom. We are taking things a day at a time, and praying hard for both of them (as well as all of us) that these transitions will become smoother, and that civility, kindness, and respect will prevail. It's hard to see your kids hurting and know there is nothing you can do to make it easier, but what I hold on to is that God is in charge and has a plan. I have learned over time that praying "thy will be done" hold it's own kind of peace, even when saying it can be the hardest of prayers to offer...

Rei and Kimmie have decided to go walking outside, probably a good plan as Rei gets cabin-feverish easily; Aurora has headed back to bed for a bit; Eric is also sleeping (he's trying to stay on his overnight schedule so he doesn't get too off kilter), and Patrick is playing on the Wii. Cliff just left to go get Brianne from work (the temps are above freezing now), and when I finish on here I am gonna go start cutting out the quilted wallhanging I plan to make for the youth bowling raffle. Then hopefully, we can go get my sewing maching picked up later this afternoon from the shop--keep your fingers crossed all it needed was another new fuse and a good cleaning!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we are having a heat wave. 17 degrees and sunny. the girl is sick so i am home. deb