Saturday, January 17, 2009

A quiet Saturday night at home

It's Saturday night, the kids are all home and doing various things (watching movies, playing video games) and I have the tv on in my room, although it's a repeat of an episode I have seen. Eric is at work, Cliff just got off and is headed to a movie with a friend (another of our "orphans" down here), and it's so nice to have things peaceful. Reimond is headed to the bowling alley for 11:30 tonight to go to a lock-in there in honor of a friend's 13th birthday (who wouldn't want a night of free bowling, food, and sodas!), so I hope he's resting a little. I had started thawing pork chops for dinner, but they weren't ready to cook, so I gave in and ordered Pizza Hut... The Chocolate Strips aren't too bad, but I think I prefer the cinnamon-sugar ones myself.

Patrick and Aurora got 3 ball bowling bags today, a christmas gift from the grandparents (Eric's parents and my mom). They were quite happy to have them arrive--we ordered them last Saturday and they came in this week. Aurora bowled in an invitational tournament today and did quite well (high school team). She seemed satisfied anyhow! Brianne went out last night for her first time "clubbing"--went to an 18+ club with some friends for linedancing and entertainment. She got in just after 4 am as one of the girls she was with "passed out" after they left the club and they took her to the emergency room. She says there was no alcohol involved, the girl just said she felt light headed and dizzy and overheated, and then she keeled over. When I talked to one of her family members today at the bowling alley I was told she's fine. Probably just got overheated.

I've been pretty lazy today myself, other than running kids around. I did a few chores, but I also sat and read a novel I have been wanting to read by a writer formerly from Minneapolis, Tami Hoag. She writes suspense/murder mysteries, and her earlier works, of which this was one, take place in Minneapolis. It was really fun to read about familiar sights and places, even if it was a work of fiction. I haven't been missing the cold of "home"--my sister, my mom, my daughter, and my daughter-in-law all were telling me about how it had been -27 degrees there, real temp, with wind chills in the -50's; makes my -2 and windchills in the -teens seem like summer! I definitely don't miss the cold. When I spoke to Justin today I told him I couldn't come visit him for awhile yet, but maybe I could come in the spring when it is warmer. He told me I could come now, "just put on your coat and hat Gram!" Smart little cookie!

Andrea was telling me that they had another scan done on my granddaughter's kidney (she was born with only one), as there has been concern about it's functioning since she was born (six weeks premature and weighing only 3# 8oz.). She has vesicoureteral reflux (essentially, when her bladder is full the urine backs up the ureter and into her kidney, putting her at great risk for kidney infections, hence her being on daily antibiotics to prevent them see http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=21&action=detail&ref=1218). When they first diagnosed it they put it at a 2-3 in terms of severity, and hoped she might outgrow it as her body grows. At her follow up scan recently the nephrologist who saw her thought that it was greater than a three, and would probably require surgical intervention in the near future. I told them that if she needed surgery I would plan a trip up to MN to be with them because she will need to stay in the hospital. While for most kids it would be an outpatient procedure, because she only has one kidney they need to watch her more closely afterwards and will have to keep her at least overnight. Alexis is so funny these days. I talked to her on the phone as well, and she babbled at me nonstop, and even cried when Justin took a turn on the phone. I miss those babies something fierce. Andrea said they were talking about me today and even looking at a map; Justin accepts that I live far-far-away and pointed to the middle of Montana as being where I now lived. He reminded me on the phone that I got married and moved away from him, but that he has a big house and lots of room for my to stay there too--I can even sleep in his car bed with him.

Eric's ex is making the trip here to see the kids on Monday as there is no school (and it's one of "her" holidays according to the visitation schedule). I hope they have a nice visit. It is certainly impetus for me to do the housework--I prefer to have the main floor at least spotless when she is here. She might not care, but I do. Finals are over and the new semester starts on Tuesday. Rei passed all his classes (at least that's how it looked when I checked last--he still had a final not recorded). Aurora did very well, as expected. Patrick, unfortunately, struggled and it's gonna take an awful lot of work if he hopes to graduate in May. His quarter grades were not good, and it will negatively affect his semester credits. We had a long talk with him on Friday night and did some brainstorming on what his options might be (based primarily on info from when we met with the counselor and his teachers about 6 weeks ago). He understands we will aid him as we can, but the onus is on him to do his homework, be sure things are getting turned in, and that he is following through with what he says. Brianne made a token effort at getting registered for classes for spring semester, and will hopefully still be able to register next week (she needs a confirmation letter that the National Guard will be helping to pay for her classes). Cliff too is working on getting his ducks in a row for financial aid so that he too can register. We have our fingers crossed that it all works out.

Eric leaves for Arkansas a week from tomorrow. Luckily for us this coming week is his "short week", so we'll have some time together before he leaves. There is a possibility he may come home on the weekends as another person in his group is tentatively planning to drive back and forth, so he could help with driving/share expenses, but it's not for sure. I'm not getting my hopes up, but will take what I get. The kids seem content that just I will be here, and I'm sure we'll manage just fine.

Anyhow, that's what's new around here on this chilly saturday evening. I am grateful for the peace and quiet!

No comments: