Friday, January 23, 2009

Friday already?

It's been a really busy week! Eric was off Monday and Tuesday, thus we had running around to do; Wednesday and Thursday nights he worked, so he was sleeping during the day (and is in bed as I write!) and I did some errands on my own... Seems like despite having all the time in the world, very little of it is my own sometimes! Eric is trying to get everything he needs done completed before he leaves for training on Sunday morning, and I am very grateful for how organized and farsighted he is. I should have very little trouble managing things while he is gone. I suppose 21 years in the military and multiple deployments contributed to that, but for whatever reason, I do appreciate how well he takes care of me.

I have a confession to make. OK, actually a couple of them. I still have my tree standing in the corner of the living room and the ornament boxes still standing against the wall. They will (hopefully) be gone this weekend, but for now they are still in the way. We need a new box or set of boxes to put the tree into, hence it still gracing the living room, and I am not sure I could lift the rest of them into place in the garage, so those are chores for Eric before he leaves... Or maybe we can just leave the tree in place, a bit of greenery in the corner! (Not likely though--I want my window back!). Confession dos: I cheated on my sister with another stylist last night! I needed a trim desperately, and I didn't want to trim my own bangs a second time in a row (I don't do a very good job--it is clearly done by someone unskilled). I got a recommendation from a friend and used her stylist. She was very good, albeit really rough, but she did a nice job, giving me exactly what I asked for (an inch off in length all around, keeping the long layers intact, and fixing my bangs so I can now see again). I am satisfied with the style (it looks just like it always has), but it wasn't the same experience at all. No visiting about family, no catching up on things, no gossiping about kids or other things... I miss my sister! When I shared my infidelity with my sister she was very understanding (600 miles is a long way to go for a haircut), but I promised to keep any chemical enhancements or eyebrow waxings in the family!

Confession tres: I still don't have the quilted wallhanging done and ready to quilt. I don't know what the hold up is exactly, but my guess it's related to all the driving I have had to do lately with the kids, and just not having much time for myself or my projects. I was disappointed to find that none of the fabric stores (or even the local quilt shop!) carry varigated hand quilting thread. I always got mine at Quilters Cove in Apple Valley, or at Glad's in Minneapolis, and I don't have the color(s) I really want in my stash. I am thinking I may need to take a run up to the quilt shop in Edwardsville, but it's almost 45 minutes each way to get there, and that seems like a lot of gas expenditure for just thread... Maybe there are other things I need too! I can always look... Hmmmmm. I need it done in about 3 weeks, so there is really no time to order it online. Worst case scenario, I can always use solid colors and just do different areas with different colors... I got the batt and the backing fabric yesterday for it, so I am basically ready to go once the blocks are done being put together.

The new semester has started for the kids, and Patrick had to make a very adult decision about his plans for the rest of this school year and into the next. He does not have enough credits to graduate in May. Period. There is no way around it or to fix it. We met with the guidance counselor yesterday after school and he was given his options. Eric and I had prepared him in advance for this discussion when we had talked/brainstormed last friday night, but I think it was still a bit of a shock for him to hear it from the "authority figures". Bottom line is that Patrick decided to be a "Super Senior", meaning he will take classes again for the fall semester and graduate at the end of that term. He will take a couple of mandatory classes, then fill in the rest of the schedule with electives he's like to take (so it will be fun for him), and he's going to look at getting a job over the summer that will qualify him for the work-study program, allowing him to leave campus after 5th hour. He seemed relieved after telling Eric and I his decision, and he says he's not going to slack this term just because... At least he has room to breathe again (one option was taking 2 correspondence courses to make up extra credits on top of his current 8 period work load, plus a term of summer school, AND PASSING everything, just to graduate the end of June...). We are really proud of him. Now he just needs to get things done!

Brie is still waiting on paperwork back from the National Guard, saying they will pay for her education, so she is not in class this week (first week of the term). Cliff too is getting his stuff together, although his entry may be summer session. Eric too got registered for spring term at ITT tech; They are kinda jerking him around right now after taking off this winter term (his 5 weeks of training wouldn't be conducive to school attendance or taking finals!) but we are working to straighten that around. Rei and Aurora are doing fine. Aurora is looking at taking Driver's Ed this summer (God help us!), and we have promised Patrick that we will help him get his license before summer starts (he may need it depending on where he finds a job at).

I am so excited: Liisa just called and she is coming down to see me/us next week (come down Monday, go back Friday) and she convinced Tony and Andrea that she should bring the babies with her! I am just bouncing! My babies are coming to see me/us! Yay!!!!!! I won't even miss Eric that first week he is gone having the kids all here with me (heeheehee--ok, I will miss him, but having the distraction of the little ones will help).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

reina gets to see the babies!!! why don't you have liisa get the thread for you and bring it with her?