Saturday, January 31, 2009

It's been a really long day today.

We had youth bowling this morning, so we were up and moving early. The kids were slow-moving, as was I, but we got to the bowling alley on time. Nothing spectacular for scores to report. I actually read a lot of the time I was there. In a case of significant irony, one of Eric's bowling league mate's name is the same as a sadistic murderer in one of Stephen King's short stories... When I shared this with people who knew him, we all laughed uproariously... This gentleman is so easy-going and kind, there is no way he fits the profile as described by Mr. King! I do enjoy Stephen King's writings--sometimes they get pretty off-the-map, but they make you think, and they challenge beliefs. I was so very jealous that Liisa actually got to meet him in person when he stayed at her hotel. When he checked in the poor flustered front desk person asked him "do you mean like the author?" to which he replied, "that would be me." Liisa was/is a concientious employee so she didn't jeapardize her job by asking for an autograph for me, but man I wished... He obviously spent a bit of time in the Minneapolis metro area, as his protagonist in Duma Key lives initially in St. Paul on Lake Phalen. Eric is reading that one now on my recommendation and I think he's enjoying it. I know I did.

Another funny story that Liisa and I were remembering from her front desk days: one day this man came to the front desk to check in and Liisa said to him that he "looked just like that guy from Tool Time on TV" (Al is the character). He laughed and said that was him, giving her his name, and she said something to the effect of "well that must be why you look like him!" and they laughed. Turns out he was at the right hotel but wrong site, so she got him situated and sent on his way, then called me all in a tither! She has met so many famous people working downtown in major hotels. I still think my favorite though is when Hootie and the Blowfish were staying at a small, exclusive hotel she worked at, and in doing some favors (in the course of her duties) for both "Hootie" and his stage manager, she was offered passes to the private concert they were giving for Microsoft execs. She asked if I could come too as I was a huge fan, and was told "Of course!" So there stood Liisa and I at the edge of an outdoor stage enjoying the hospitality of Microsoft and Hootie, a memory I will treasure always! Man that guy can sing!

I spent a significant number of hours today putting together a packet about Mascoutah, IL for my niece Memphis. She had an assignment to send "Flat Stella/Stan" somewhere in the world, and for the recipient to describe where they were, what it was like, maybe include maps or postcards, and photos. I included three maps, one of the town/streets, where I labelled my house, the schools, the church, and other landmarks; one of the area, where I noted places we go to that would be familiar to my niece, like the mall or target, and the air force base. The last map was a more distant one that included St. Louis. I wrote a letter describing things to her, and I included pictures of various places that are important to us as a family down here. I will mail it off to her on Monday. I actually had to run to Walmart (blech) to get a mailing envelope (as well as some milk and a few other groceries). I hope she likes it.

Liisa got safely home last evening early on, and she had no bad weather or difficulties. I was so relieved. I talked to Eric today and he's bored to tears today. There is no class on the weekends, and the guy he rode down with drove back to Missouri but didn't come all the way up to St. Louis, so it didn't pay for Eric to ride back. He got his internet working somewhat in his room, so he spent the day reading, watching tv, playing Everquest, and hanging out. Poor guy. He even did some studying, as after the test on friday he was #6 in his class, out of 40-some people. The kids and I are still managing well, and I made sure homework got worked on right after bowling and prior to any freedom to hang with friends/go places... It was a gorgeous day today so that was added incentive to get things done. I am such a task-master!

I can't promise to blog everyday next week like I did this one--for whatever reason it seemed to work out this week to do so, but I don't want to bore people either with a we did this and we did that...blah blah blah... Most days are pretty dull and static around here, not very interesting at all! But I will do my best to keep highlighting the important things and keeping you up-to-date on us!

No comments: