Monday, July 20, 2009

Donut Seeds????

I was talking to my family in MN yesterday because they had a lot of excitement going on, and Justin got on the phone with me. He was highly animated because they had been at the County Fair in Waseca, MN and my son Tony drove a "demolition" car he helped Jesse (and friends) build for the races. According to Justin, "Daddy drove reeeeaaalllyy fast, and it was way cool and he got a big trophy!" Their car was the last one running, sans oil and tranny fluid, and Tony, being the hot-dogger that he is, drove it backwards and in circles in front of the grandstand and the judges after he was the only driver left driving (going around the dead vehicles to do so). The boys won $100 and the trophy pictured here with Tony. I was sure excited to hear about it, and wished I could have been there to see it myself. Liisa was very excited when she called me to tell me, and the boys were all over the moon!
Anyhow, back to Justin. After telling me all about his exciting day (going in the moonwalk, climbing things, and generally exploring the fair), he told me I needed to send him "Donut seeds" because he wanted to plant them and watch them grow, after which he would eat them (the donuts he grew). I explained I didn't have any donut seeds, and he insisted that I did:"Grandpa Eric has some in the garage in a cupboard Gram! I sawed them there!" Well I promised I would ask Grandpa Eric about them and if I found any I would send them to him right away. He seemed content with that but told me he needed "lotsa donut seeds cuz I really like donuts!" What a little nut! Eric is clueless as to what he might have seen in the garage that looked like donut seeds, and we have laughed ourselves silly over this. I toyed with sending a small baggie of cheerios as donut seeds, (don't they look like little donuts?) but he knows what they are, and I don't want to fool him... Still, I would like to send him something. Justin also was frustrated with me that I didn't say hi to him at the fair, because I said I had seen pictures of him from the fair that afternoon, and if I was there to see him doing those things, why didn't I say "Hi"... I tried to explain the concept of pics posted on facebook where I can see them, but he didn't get it.
Eric just got in from mowing the lawn. It has been amazingly quiet here being down two kids. Aurora often watches tv up here in the loft, so the silence is deafening, and Patrick is often on the gaming systems in the living room, with Reimond running between them. Some of Patrick's friends (whom Rei has been running with too) have continued to come by and collect Rei or hang out here, even with Patrick being gone, so things are not totally dead, and Brianne has had friends over daily as well. She has gotten her orders and is leaving earlier than we had planned: she needs to be at the hotel next Sunday (7/26) for Monday departure. She was heartsick because the kids were not due to come back until Sunday, so she has been working with her mom to see if they can be picked up a day earlier. It sounds like the plan would be to grab them on Saturday (although their mom said *if* she goes for it, it will have to be late, as she has plans ) and then we would do some kind of BBQ here on Sunday afternoon after she gets checked into the hotel. Liisa and the pups will arrive that Sunday sometime as well, for an 8 day stay, so it's going to be a busy weekend!
I worked today and will work again on Thursday, and then teach on Saturday. Eric is off today but picked up an over time shift tomorrow, then again is off Friday through Sunday. I have a honey-do list from hell for the two of us to accomplish, and I hope we can get through many of them before the weekend... At least the carpets getting done. Looking at the time, I guess I should get going on things! Eric is out of the shower and I should pay attention to him...

No comments: