Tuesday, July 14, 2009

just a follow up to my earlier post.

Things are quieter now. Eric got up after only 3.5/4 hours of sleep and was crabby. I was crabby too (PMS) but we were both better this afternoon after he got some rest and I had some down time. Reimond has gone with Brianne to see the premier of the latest Harry Potter movie (the midnight showing--never have seen a child so eager to get homework done before he leaves the house!), and Patrick is at a friend's overnight, so it is just Aurora and I here. We went and put gas in the van (it was on empty> go figure! I only drove it to and from work twice this past week since Eric filled it up in MO where gas is cheaper, and once round trip to the store in town for dinner supplies). Then her and I went to IHOP for dinner. It was nice! Eric has class tomorrow before he comes home, and I will be working, so we will get home around the same time more or less in the afternoon. Then he is off til Friday night.

I am very disappointed in Rei's grade for his english class. Despite some solid B's on some assignments, he has others that are missing, and I don't know if he can recover from this. I am so upset about it. I have tried hard to stay on top of things, but the honest truth is the teacher has not followed the letter of his IEP by letting me know what his assignments are, so I have to rely on what he is telling me, and that is not going well at all. Now it's too late. I can hope that he does well on the final, and that the grade he gets for this last project is good, but I don't know what this means for the coming year. Part of the issue is that he doesn't know how to do some of these basic skills that I take for granted (like writing an outline or organizing material to write a solid paper), but I don't know how to teach this to him, and they are expecting him to know how to do it. I don't know what the answer is, but I am going to call the school and see what our options are in getting him some remedial help. I AM upset with him, because I don't think he totally gave it his best shot, but on the other hand I did see him working harder this summer than I have seen at other points in time. Grrrr! It just makes me sick to my stomache. He will for sure be considered a freshman again in the fall, and this is probably for the best... It just makes me so very sad. The paper he did is due tomorrow, and is complete, and he will do the final on Thursday. Keep your fingers crossed he does well.

Anyhow, I am going to make it an early night tonight. I have to be up by 7 for work, and I am tired. Sometimes it is hard to be a parent!

No comments: