Monday, July 6, 2009

Happy (belated) 4th of July!

Here are a bunch of photos from our weekend trip to my sister's lake place, just north of Aitkin, MN. We had so much fun! These pics are not in any sort of chronological order, because I took almost 260 photos, but I picked some of my favorites to post here. The picture of Alexis and I I took myself, when we were out fishing on the 4th. Alexis "helped" Auntie Kris to catch a sunfish, and Justin too caught a fish. It was very exciting for them!

I had a couple of firsts for me at the lake: I went for a ride on the tube for the first time (Aurora talked me into it and said she would go with me...) First attempt, we dunked almost immediately, because I was too far forward and swamped the tube. Then I couldn't climb on easily so we had to be towed in so I could use the ladder; try 2 was more successful, and I even let Rollie gradually increase the speed of the boat as I got more comfortable with it! Aurora laughed at me, but it was worth it. I felt quite proud of myself!
Aurora and Patrick rode together and had a ball, and Patrick rode by himself, incurring a spectacular 360 flip as he held on when he should have let go--letting go only because he felt his shorts leaving his body, heeheehee. He had a blast! These next few photos are some random ones of the cabin and of the swing down on the dock. We had 18 people staying at my sister's cabin, and there were more people at Rollie's brother's cabin. Most of my clan was there, as was my sister's family, and my brother Neal and his family. We all helped to contribute to meals and clean-up, and we spent our days swimming off the pontoon, fishing, tubing, 4-wheeling, lighting off fireworks, chasing dogs (Liisa brought her puppies) and Hank, my sister's corgi, was busy herding both puppies and babies around!


We grilled, we socialized, and we had a blast! I have not seen such big grins on the kid's faces in ages!













This is Rei and Jocelyn on the innertube. Colin actually laid low this weekend as he had hurt his back, but his girlfriend Julia was very active with all of us! She is such a sweetheart!

Aurora spent a big part of her time herding the puppies and the little kids.

This is Patrick and Aurora tubing together on the tube; they were far braver than I ever was, going really fast and bouncing over the waves and wakes!

Our days were so full for the two days we were there (actually it was slightly less than that, we got there Friday around 2, all day Saturday, and left around 11 on Sunday. We packed so much into our days though, it felt much longer! Patrick went off with Rollie's niece and some of her friends to play beach volleyball, and then Steve ran him out to join us on the lake for fishing; On the second day of fishing Patrick was slow to catch anything, then caught the two biggest fish we caught! Aurora was more prolific, catching 10 fish, mostly sunnys, rock bass, and a small bass.

Here is a picture of Patrick getting ready to drive the ATV; Aurora drove too but I didn't get photos of that--didn't realize she was headed out~



We all took turns holding and enjoying the little ones. Justin took to swimming in 12 ft deep water like a champ (we all wore life vests). Alexis tried swimming, and even got in up to her armpits, but then announced "too cold, too cold, I done!" very emphatically, and she got lifted back into the boat, where Uncle Rei wrapped her up to warm her.

This is one of my favorite pictures. I wish the rest of the kids could have been in the water with us, but Rei had Alexis on the pontoon, and Patrick and Aurora were on the speedboat tubing. The water felt frigid upon entering it, and I caught much ribbing for hooting and hollering as I got wet! Once I was used to the water I really enjoyed it and hated getting out. I am terrified in deep water, so it took some getting used to being in the life vest too, but once I started to relax and trust it, it was very fun!






This is Patrick with the second of the fish he caught. He was quite proud!












These last two photos comprised our ride back to the cabin on the 4th. We had a nearly full moon rising in the east,











and a gorgeous sunset to the west. It was a magical weekend, and I so enjoyed it!











The drive back to Mascoutah was killer. It was 13.5 hours long, and I drove it all myself. Aurora offered to drive, but I still am not comfortable with being the supervising parent driving, and Patrick doesn't have a valid permit either. When we got in, my legs and arms felt like rubber and I was exhausted. I was so glad to be home, and today I have kept things very low key. It has been wonderful to just veg out. I have caught up on my emails, I have posted most of the pics I had taken on facebook and myspace, and I now have posted things on my blog. I feel quite prolific today!

No comments: