Monday, February 2, 2009

Ground hog day...

Unlike the movie, this day isn't repeating itself, but it is already overdone and it's only 8:20 a.m. I didn't sleep well last night, as we had a smoke detector with a dying battery beep all night long, beginning at 1 a.m. I admit, being the klutzy person that I am, I couldn't find my way to standing on a folding chair to try and remove the offending alarm from the ceiling until I can get out to buy a new battery later today, so I just dealt with it by trying to ignore it. I think it was after 2 that i finally fell asleep. Got up this morning with the alarm at 6:30, to find that the boys were not yet up. I yelled at them, and even tried to turn on their light, only to be told they had no power in their room (hence no alarm going off). Well there I was, left to rousting them every 10 minutes for the next 30 minutes until about the time we normally leave the house, when they finally got out of bed. I got them to school about 4 minutes before the bell rang... When I got back home I spoke briefly with Eric, as I wanted to know if we had any 9-volt batteries in the house, as well as where the fuse box is, so I can reset both the boy's room and Brianne's, which also has no power (I am clueless as to why there is no power to either room).

I have to admit, I am really crabby today. Lack of sleep tends to do that to me. I am a girl who needs a solid 8 hours these days. All those years of running on 6 or less hours a night have taken their toll and I need my beauty sleep! Didn't help either that the kids had a houseful of friends over all weekend long, and they ended up"trashing" (meant euphemistically) the house. There were nine kids here overnight on Saturday night (5 being ours, 4 being friends of theirs), and nothing got put back where it belongs. Blankets are all over the floor in the living room along with discarded hoodies and other sundry clothes, empty soda bottles and dishes, wrappers from candy and fast food, and empty bags; the table and island is a catch-all for overflow; dishes are piled on counters and in the sink (and to think I did a huge load of them yesterday morning!), and the laundry room is filled with dirty clothes (and maybe clean clothes too--I am not sure who is doing laundry at the moment)... The entire house looks like an extension of the kids' bedrooms, and I am frustrated! I asked them to pick up after themselves last night and it looks like nothing got done--BUT THEY DON'T SEE IT!!!!! We have the cable TV's phone people coming out this morning and I am embarassed to let them in! The "loft" area is a little better, but not by much, as the kids were primarily in the living room, but still. The only rooms that are halfway decent are mine and Aurora's.

I admit, I spent most of the day yesterday in my room on the computer, playing Everquest with Eric, talking to him on the phone, and watching the superbowl game. He was bored and lonely in his hotel room, no one grabbed him for brunch or (as far as I know) to go to the superbowl party at a nearby bar last night; so we entertained ourselves long distance, as in the olden days, by playing online together and talking on the phone. We needed that connection between us, and it was very nice. Plus, with the kids all over everywhere else, I kinda needed a sanctuary! The kids were really good--not too loud or rambunctious--and it was so fun to see Patrick have his friends here overnight, as well as Aurora inviting a girlfriend over yesterday for the afternoon, but I admit, I am frustrated they didn't do more to pick up after themselves before bed last night... Brianne did treat us to Subway for dinner, which was thoughtful of her, so I didn't need to cook and I did appreciate that. But still, I didn't use up all those dishes! And after feeding multiple kids all weekend, I now need to go restock cereals, OJ, lunch meats, and bread... I guess I forgot how much work running "teen central" is!

I have the dogs respectively kennelled or up here by me for when the serviceman arrives, and I hope it's soon. I wish I had a better time frame than a 4 hour window... I'd like to take a shower, or run to do a few errands, or even go back to sleep, but I know, ala Murphy's law, that the second I get settled into something he'll arrive... So I am trying to keep myself awake and "doing" something... Wish me luck!

On a side note, I think Midnight has taken me up as a replacement for Eric while he is gone, because he has been sleeping right beside me where ever I happen to be, even to sleeping on the floor on my side of the bed rather than on his pillow on Eric's side, just "because." I think he misses Eric. I know I do!

No comments: