Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bein' lazy on a Tuesday morning

The kids went back to school today after having President's day off and it's nice to have some peace and quiet. This weekend was rough, and I am not sure why. Nothing really significant happened (other than a lot of passive resistance to helping me with chores), and I was a crabby, cranky bear yesterday (I think the kids have other names for it). As I told Eric, I was just restless yesterday. I couldn't really settle into doing anything in particular, although I did vaccuum and steam-clean the carpets in our bedroom and closet, a job well-done if I say so myself... When I thought about it, I realized I was wandering the house looking for Eric. I did that at my mom's all the time after my dad died. I knew in my head he wasn't there, but my heart was still looking for him, and I think that's what I was doing this weekend with Eric. I was looking for him, even though I knew logically he's in Arkansas. The week days aren't so hard to have him gone. His working overnights has me semi-used to being alone in the evenings and we talk on the phone. But weekends feel different somehow. He works every other weekend, but I think it's the combination of having the kids home, knowing he is alone in a hotel room, and feeling stressed out here sometimes... All I know is if we had a local coffee shop in town that I could have run away to yesterday for a few hours, I would have gladly done so. I was desperately wishing for a break! I just didn't want to drive for miles to take one.

Today is a better day. I am gonna finish up a couple of things here, then I need to run to the library and the gym (both were closed yesterday), get a few groceries at the commisary (we need milk), and focus on the day-to-day stuff I generally do. It's grey and gloomy outside, and while we are supposed to have a high of around 55, it looks like rain to me--a good day to coccoon in with a hot drink, a good book or project, and an afghan. All that's missing is a fireplace! I work tomorrow and Friday, 9-2, so I need to be sure we are set here with what we need to have done. It's nice to have something to look forward to.

I'm not sure what is in the works for the weekend. Eric thinks he might be coming home, which would be wonderful, and then there is only one more week after that to go. He's home in 10 more days for good!

No comments: