Thursday, February 26, 2009

I'm procrastinating.

Yes, it's true. I'm procrastinating around doing a few things I should be doing. I should be doing laundry. I should be making up my grocery list. I should be headed to the gym for my 30 minutes on the treadmill, followed by a stroll around the commissary as I purchase the aforementioned groceries on the list. I should be cleaning up the house and getting things ready for my husband to get home tomorrow night and our resumption of "real life." And I am doing none of them.

Why? I hate grocery shopping with a passion. I worked in that industry for more years than I would like to count and I've had my fill of aisles of groceries, making choices, and carrying them to the car and putting them away when home. I just don't like it. I don't mind cooking, or the cleanup that goes with it, but if the ingredients could magically appear on the shelves of the pantry and refrigerator I would be a happy camper. One of my pet peeves is that if I buy something that is "tasty" for everyone, it disappears overnight and I rarely even get a nibble. Another is that the empty containers don't get properly disposed of unless I am right there to supervise/nag about them. That's why I no longer buy soda--I get tired of cans everywhere in various stages of being emptied, and of things stacked by the sink because they then "magically disappear." It's a vicious cycle. Other kinds of shopping I enjoy totally. I like going to the mall, to the BX, to Target. I even have broken down and shop at Walmart on occasion (shudder) because they carry groceries and staples of household necessities. But I hate grocery shopping with a passion. Still, the lack of fresh fruit, milk, cereal, and bread is staring me in the face, and I know it needs to be done. If I wait for Eric to get home to do it (and he'd drag me along with him to do it anyway), it'd be Sunday evening before we get on it, and that isn't gonna cut it. So it's up to me to do it today. And I don't wanna! (stamp feet, pout).

The laundry really isn't too overwhelming and I will finish it today. I just don't want to do it right now. Going to the gym is actually enjoyable and I don't mind doing that either, but if I am already on base it just makes sense that I get the groceries too... And the housework? Meh, it'll get done one way or another.

Part of my procrastination is because I have a headache. I'm trying to figure out if it's just a tension headache (had some issues over Rei and his meds this morning at the high school, and he has Saturday detention scheduled for the 7th), or the start of a migraine (which can be triggered by tension, the weather changes we are under, and hormones, which may or may not also be an option), but my head aches, my eyes are bugging me, and I feel nauseous. Doesn't help that Midnight just threw up on my carpet in my bedroom either... Yuck! Maybe I should just take something for my head and go to the gym, then fake it at the grocery store--get the bare minimum we need and come home to deal with the rest later...

I took Patrick to the dentist yesterday for a noon appointment, but they forgot to mention that Aurora was supposed to be there too, so I went back this morning to take Aurora and Reimond. Rei has a cavity that needs filling so we have an after school appointment set up for April, and I have a referral for all three kids to be seen by an orthodontist regarding braces. I will get that set up for soon because I do feel that it's a priority. Liisa had them and has such a gorgeous smile now. Tony had them too, but took them off himself because "they bugged him" and he now regrets that he didn't stick with it. Patrick and Aurora have such nice smiles, but they are self-conscious of their teeth, (as is Brianne, but unfortunately she needs to take care of the braces thing on her own now). I also got Eric set up for an appointment for next week as he had a filling fall out while in AR, and despite 2 appointments down there for a temporary fix, he is having some pain and swelling and needs to get it fixed ASAP. I suppose I should get an appointment for me too--I know it's been at least 3 years or better since I have been in...

I'm bummed because Eric has a bowling tournament to go to on Saturday that I was gonna go with on, but I have to work from 1-5 and he is leaving at 1:30ish to go. I'm glad he's taking this opportunity to bowl with his friends, even if I can't be there too. He works Sunday morning, but I am going to try to get to church with the kids. Aurora has some band fundraising stuff she wants to take there, and she'll take them to the bowling alley too on Saturday morning. We went to the Ash Wednesday service last night and it was somber but nice. I am glad we went.

Ok, even the computer screen is bugging my head so I am gonna go for now. I'll fill you in on the rest maybe tomorrow!

UPDATE: I took a prescription pain med I have for migraines and it did the trick. I then went and did the grocery shopping to the tune of $165... It isn't cheap feeding 5 kids! And I didn't need to get dog or cat food today, so that was all food for the family. Now I can justify playing a little bit, whether I get on the computer and play Everquest with Eric, or I cross stitch or knit on the sweater from hell... Looks like we are going to get a severe storm. The skies are black, and it's spritzing raindrops. Eric told me on the phone that he has fully qualified on his weapon and is very ready to be done and come home. I agree. I am ready to have him home too.

No comments: