Saturday, February 21, 2009

Tidbits and miscellany...

Eric is home, and went to bowling with us this morning. After being a "parent" (as opposed to being a coach) while the kids all bowled, he bowled a few lines with the kids and as he put it, "couldn't catch a spare to save his life." He thought he had a bowling tournament tonight but he doesn't, so we are going to go out instead on a date. That makes me very happy!

At bowling this morning young Alex was so excited to see us. He informed me that "Mommy and Daddy had a card for me" (I don't think he was supposed to tell me), and later asked his dad if he could give it to me. It was a lovely thank you card from the coaches and youth bowling teams for donating the quilt, along with a gift card to a new restaurant/night club I have been wanting to check out, the "Outlaw Blues Bar and Grill." Eric and I may check it out tonight! I also had an opportunity to talk to the woman who won it, and she was very happy with it. It was good to know it has a home where it'll be appreciated.

I got my first paycheck, for a whole 10 hours of work. It wasn't alot, especially after taxes, but it was nice to see. Eric asked me if we were going to frame it... I said I'd rather spend it! I worked 10 hours again this week, and work only 4 next week so far (Saturday 1-5). I'm going to give a call to the manager and see if she needs me for any other hours next week, but if not, that's ok too. I did make a few purchases on Friday after work: 2 patterns for doll clothes and a pattern for a summer dress for me, and 3 yards of fabric to make said dress out of (white background crinkly rayon with large lilies for an all-over print; has a very soft drape and is ideal for the pattern!). I also got 2 craft organizers, one each for Brie and Aurora to keep their cross stitch in (got them for $3.50 each!), and a booklet on making knotted bracelets out of floss/string/hemp, something else I thought the girls would enjoy. I get a 15% discount above any sale prices, even the liquidation prices (which surprised me; I figured that was as much a discount as I could get). All in all I spent about $25, but was quite pleased with my bargin hunting.

So very frustrated with the dogs this morning. Last night I vaccuumed and mopped the entire main floor, and it looked fantastic. I figured we were going to have cold weather the rest of the week, so the mud would be minimal. WRONG! It sleeted this morning and the dogs tracked mud all over the clean linoleum this morning, as well as tracked some of it onto the carpets, again... I swear at times I would be better off letting the mud build up and throw down grass seed... I know it isn't their fault. But there has to be an easier way to manage it! I am open to suggestions (we do already wipe their feet with a towel when they come in to try and limit the mess). On the flip side I couldn't help but laugh when today at the bowling alley I got an automated phone call from the city of Minneapolis telling me that a snow emergency had been declared and parking restrictions would be enforced. They got almost 7 inches since Friday night, and my brother said it took him over an hour to shovel the front walk and steps! I don't miss that at all!

Brianne is at drill for the weekend, her second weekend this month, Cliff is working all weekend long as well, and we are basically done with our weekend obligations. I AM gonna have a family meeting with the kids though about picking up after themselves and each other. I spent almost three hours cleaning the main floor last night. They need to understand that they have to contribute to the whole, and if I start hearing "It's not my mess, I am not gonna pick it up" I am gonna remind them that two can play that game and they do not want to go there with me... I wonder how they would feel if I boycotted doing stuff for them?

No comments: