Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wierd weather...

I just cannot get used to the weather differences between here in SW Illinois and MN. We were in the upper 50's this morning, and we are now in the mid 30's... I don't know how to dress on any given day, and I hate having to carry coats and other gear, but I also hate being cold... It's very unpredictable! It doesn't help that it's grey and gloomy too--I don't mind the cold when it's clear and sunny. This weather is just depressing!

Work was interesting today. We are clearancing out everything in the store, so everything has a sales price attached to it. It gets confusing keeping track of all the multiple buttons that need to be keyed in after scanning the item, and to be sure we are giving the appropriate discounts. I had a woman walk away from the counter because I couldn't cut off the 15" of extra fabric left on the bolt (we need to keep at least a yard on the bolt for sale, and we also have a 2 yard minimum cut right now--strictly for the liquidation). The irony was if she bought that last 15" I would have given her an extra 10% off the sale price of the entire purchase. People are funny like that. I had other people who were happy to buy the entire bolt, just to get the extra discount on it! I spent all shift on the cutting table today, which I really enjoyed, but I do need to spend some time on the cash register as I need to brush back up on those skills too. I was bummed because there was some fabric I saw that would make a wonderful summer dress, but someone else had the same idea and grabbed it before I could. Oh well, saves me a little money. I think I am going to go in tomorrow (my day off) to look at patterns as they are $1.99 each, and at the very least I can get more doll clothes patterns for my nieces and Alexis. And then, if something on the clearance aisles should loudly call my name, I can purchase without guilt (I browse while working but don't feel right tucking stuff away for later on).

I think I am going to make chicken fajitas for dinner tonight. I have been craving them lately and got some lovely peppers on sale at the commisary the other day. Rei has confirmation class tonight, so I have to get going on those pretty quickly. Brianne and Aurora have been working on cleaning Brianne's room. I am so glad they are finally getting it in order! Once they have that whipped into shape, I am going to start riding the boys to do theirs too. Still not getting as much help as I would like from the kids, but I have been saying no lately to things when they haven't been helping me, and I think/hope that helps them to at least start thinking ahead a bit. I don't think it's unreasonable for them to pitch in, although I also get tired of their keeping tally--"it's not all mine, so I shouldn't have to clean it up...", or "why do I always have to ....... and XXXX doesn't....." I blew up the other night and said "you need to do it because I asked you to, and I will be asking others to do other specific tasks too, whether it was theirs or not as well!" I added in that it is not a contest or a score-keeping of who does the most/least and I am fully aware of who does what, and will deal with it accordingly--to let ME be the parent and give the orders... I get so tired of being countermanded or seconded! I don't need an echo or a stool-pigeon!

I am so glad Eric is coming home for the weekend. I really need some time with him, and even more, I really need a break from the kids! I think he has a bowling tournament this weekend to go to Saturday night, but if nothing else, I can tag along on that. I just need some being "taken care of" time too.

No comments: