Thursday, February 12, 2009

Done with my work week for this week...

I worked a grand total of 10 hours this week. All of it orientation related. I'll work 10 hours next week too. They have hired a ton of people to help liquidate the old store and get the new store set up so there were many of us standing around awaiting a turn on the cash register, and I didn't even get near the cutting table today, although I did move bolts and bolts of fabrics around. What I found interesting is many of the employees don't even do sewing/crafts, or do only very general/basic things. In many cases the customers know more than many of them do about the products being sold! That really surprised me! My knowledge-base came in handy today to the extent that I couldn't be "tricked" about what goes where for ringing up purposes (e.g. notions/quilting supplies/craft items) as just about everything in the store is being sold at discounted rates. There were a few items I saw today I would love to have, but I didn't feel like standing around trying to shop after I was done with my shift, and we are not "technically" allowed to put things aside as we see them to pay for later on (we could do so back in the olden days at Hancock). Realistically though, there isn't anything I NEED at the moment, despite some of the nice prices, so I passed on making purchases. My feet really hurt though--I have not done that much standing/walking around in a long time!

I like a number of the people I work with, and I think this will be a fun job. One of the trainers stated I should help teach classes when we are in the new building, and I said "maybe." I don't want to take on more than I can manage until after Eric gets back and we see how his work and school (ITT) schedules are going to affect family life with me working too. My schedule will be more defined when we are in the new store--right now we have so many people on we are tripping over each other! And I think I need to pack a little lunch for my 5 hour shifts--the closest place to walk to is either White Castle or Steak 'n Shake, but both are still a little ways away and too far to really get to in a 15 minute break if you walk there and back, wait for your order to be filled, and have time to eat too. I grabbed a snack at White Castle today because I was feeling light-headed and knew I needed to eat, but it wasn't "timely" to do so (although no one yelled either).

Eric's ex never made it down to see the kids on her last holiday, and we had to send her a list/schedule of what the kids have available for visitations for the rest of the school year and the summer. She isn't going to be happy. Aurora wants to take driver's ed through summer school this year, and it's a 6 week program, Monday thru Thursday; then she has band camp the last week of July and first week of August, and registration and pictures etc. are the following week after that, with school starting August 20th. Patrick is going to get a job for the summer so that he has an income, and it will help to qualify him for work-study in the fall. The kids have a full summer already planned, so trips to IN are going to be short when they are able to be fit in. I really don't know how it will all work out. We plan to take it a step at a time. I am so glad there are no conflicts with my ex over Rei. That would make things even more difficult I think! Keep your fingers crossed something can be worked out that is agreeable all the way around.

I really need to get working on finishing up the wall quilt. I have 3 blocks left to quilt, and 4 bowling pins to go around, then the border. With minimal interruptions I should be able to finish it by tomorrow evening. If not, then I will be quilting til it's done--and napping after it's dropped off! I could use a nap right now! I'm happy with how it's coming along though, and I think, despite it's flaws (that I see clearly), that it should go over well. I hope so anyhow! I have invested a lot of time and energy into making it!

The kids should be home from school any time now, so I am gonna get going on my stuff... Lots to finish up on today!

No comments: