Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I had planned to spend the day quilting....

I really had! But things kept getting in the way, like needing to email some stuff to my spouse in AR, addressing and writing notes in various snail mail correspondence (birthday cards, valentines, a sympathy card), and writing a long and newsy email to a friend with whom I have lost touch somehow (I hope the email address I have for her is one they still check! I would be sad if it ends up just sitting in cyberspace somewhere after spending almost 2 hours writing it). Sometimes people come into my head and my heart and I feel like God is giving me a giant push to communicate with them somehow, so I say a prayer for them, then write a letter to them (or send a note etc...) or call. In this particular instance I tried calling the last time I was "nudged", and I ended up leaving a voice mail. I figured this time I would try an email and hopefully it will find it's way there. This friend I wrote to is a very special person to me. We met as freshmen in college, in an honor's seminar on psychopharmacology. We were both pre-med. I ended up dropping out of school, marrying, and having kids in the short term, while she did go on to med school, and got both her MD and an MPH (Masters in Public Health). I am so proud of her! While in med school she met her husband, and they married and had kids. They have moved around some, and at some point in time, we lost touch. I miss her! We did a lot of growing and changing together as young women, and we anchored each other when the seas were stormy at times. Our lives have clearly taken different paths over the years, but I am hoping we can bridge this chasm and reconnect if it's meant to happen. She used to live in Quincy, IL, about an hour and a half to two hours north of me now, and it was to her house that I took my first independent road trip with my "three kids" (Reimond was just a baby, maybe 9 months old, and she had just had her first baby). We drove a route to get there that has since become quite familiar to me! Anyhow, that, and laundry, and dishes have taken precedence over quilting, and now I am procrastinating further by blogging...

I spoke to someone at my new job today and they said my start time tomorrow has been adjusted to 9 am instead of 8 am... I am excited and nervous both. Nervous because it's a new job, in a new place, and if I am honest with myself, it signals permanence. I have a solid work history and a history of job loyalty--I don't change jobs like they are disposable--so to me this is the final step of acknowledging that Mascoutah is now home. It feels good! And it's a little scary too. I would still like to find something in my field, but Eric is also suggesting that I look at school options to finish my degree. That would be good too, and would expand what is available for me to do. Deep breath!

Ok, enough procrastinating! Time to focus on quilting, interspersed with doing the dishes and changing around the laundry. It's do-able!

No comments: