Thursday, March 26, 2009

Bits and bobs of things, without rhyme nor reason.

I have a headache today, maybe sinus, maybe migraine. Blech. I took something about 20 mins ago and am hoping it helps soon. We are under a change in weather with the risk of storms off and on today so it could be either, or both.

The van has a flat tire on it. Yesterday it was really low and I put air in it, and was able to drive on it, but it went totally flat in the night. I am not sure how Eric is gonna change it as it was put on using an air socket wrench at the station, and the last time this tire went flat was on the freeway in IA between here and MN. The van is driving really crappy right now. Has a terrible vibration in the front end, and gets worse the higher the speeds are. In talking to my favorite mechanic people the consensus is that the front end probably "hit" something, a curb maybe, and that the tire, tie rod, or axle may be bent. That is what it feels like to me, but I will be honest, I have been scared the front tires were gonna fall off going 65-70 (even though I have been assured that that probably won't happen) and I have taken to driving the back roads (max speed 55) when I can just because it feels more managable. Regardless, we need to get that looked at. So with the van only going where it is absolutely necessary to go to and the CRX not being driven until the brakes get dealt with, that leaves the Pilot for doing misc. running in. Sooooooo tired of broken vehicles!

Eric has survived part one of his hell week; by bedtime last night he was running on 40+ hours without sleep, but he was functioning. He slept like the dead last night and seems to be in good shape today! He has Saturday yet to do in a similar manner: work til 6 am, go to school from 9 til noon, and then come home and sleep so he can work Saturday night and Sunday night. But then he has his lighter week to deal with next week. Not sure what we have on the agenda for today, but I am thinking I would like to go browsing at Lowe's...

I sent an email to Rei's science teacher about the grades on his two projects (the ones we were pinning our hopes on to bring his grade up to passing); he got a ZERO posted on his one project where he had to draw out an invention using 5 simple machines, and there was extra credit if it was built. She did apologize to me for the zero and said she "meant to give him 40 point", the max plus extra credit. She was very defensive in tone in the email though, and it sounded like on the other project/assignment, which I thought he had done well on (but only got 70% on, which is a D), was because he hadn't handed in project components on it previously (and had already gotten zeros on those). I feel, quite honestly, like he was double jeapardized on them, and am eagerly awaiting review of the "evaluation" of his project to see exactly where he lost points. I know he hadn't handed in the components as he went along, because he didn't understand how to do them, so didn't, and asked for help as he came to the final project because he wanted to do it right. The thing that REALLY angers me also though is that the teacher YELLED at him, in class, for my having emailed her... But if I hadn't would she have corrected her error in his grade? And I want her to know that I am keeping up on his grades and his homework issues. Rei was really frustrated when he got home yesterday, because he sat with me when I wrote the email and he knew exactly what I had said to her. I am thinking I need to follow up with the special ed teacher for more info, even though I really detest triangulating. Bottom line is I am clueless as to whether Rei will pass most of his classes this term, and I am suspecting he won't, although he is doing quite well in a few.

Patrick we are also concerned about. School really hasn't seemed to be a priority for him either, despite our trying to stay on top of him too. We have really tried especially hard to help him find a balance between freedom and school stuff, and so far we have not acheived it. We had another long conversation with him last night, but we aren't sure if this term has again been a bust. He started out rocky, we thought he pulled some of it together, but we are not sure... He understands that at 17 we are giving some of the responsibility back to him, but that we support him and are concerned. Parenting is so hard sometimes!

Brie and Cliff continue to hold us hostage on a roller-coaster of emotions and attitudes. It is becoming harder and harder to remain supportive and neutral in this situation, because the pendulum swings to each side, without landing on middle ground. Both are being unreasonable on one level or another, and neither is giving an inch (for kids who are supposedly almost full adults they are remarkably concrete operational in their thinking!).

Aurora is doing fine, grade-wise and otherwise. She has a track meet tonight at 4 that Eric is planning to be at, and because the Tuesday one was cancelled due to torrential rains, tonight's might be a fairly big meet. She seems to be enjoying running, and loves her new running shoes. It has been so fun to see her hanging out with one of her girlfriends lately (having her come over) and she spends some "girl-time" with Kimmie too (Rei's girlfriend). Aurora seems happier and more outgoing/settled than she was when I first moved down here and it makes me/us very happy to see.

I have to go to a party tonight at work for the wrap-up on the store setup. It opens tomorrow. I need to double check the schedule because I had initially been told I wasn't working, but we'll see. I need next week's schedule too. Yesterday I spent time draping fabrics, which I loved, and colorizing one of the quilting walls with solid quilter's cottons. I had been trained the previous evening on the features of the sewing machines we carry and will be selling (Singer brand) and I am sorta interested in some of the features of the "top of the line" one we carry--it's a $900 machine, and we don't get a discount on it, but it *may* in some regards be an upgrade to my 10 year old machine (although in other ways it's really not). I would love to try it out to put it through it's paces; I hope we will set up a demo table where we can try it/show it to customers. I know for me, if I am paying big money for a machine, I want to see it in action before I lay out my hard earned dollars. Still, I feel fairly confident I understand the pros and cons of the various models we carry and can discuss them intelligently with the "guests". I am so very excited for the store's opening: there are things they carry that I will use for sure that I haven't seen other places!

On the Minneapolis front, the "babies" (although in reality Miss Alexis is a toddler and Justin is a preschooler) are still talking about their time in Mascoutah, and Andrea called me to today to ask me why we "taught" Alexis to say "No" to everything, heeheehee. I said that it sounds like normal almost 2 to me, and she laughed too--said Alexis is saying NO to things, then looking for your response to it, and it's adorable. Probably not for long though! Liisa is applying for an assistant general manager position at a Marriott in her chain; she got the blessing of her current GM, who said she would be fantastic in the position, and the GM at the hotel she'e be going to is the one who told her about the opening and encouraged her to apply. She is very excited, and I hope she gets it!

Eric wants me online in our Everquest world for some quality playing time, so I guess I will wrap this up here. We are doing fine, and eagerly awaiting the arrival of spring!

No comments: