Friday, March 13, 2009

Pictures from Tony's trip to Mascoutah:

Tony and the kids got into Mascoutah around 9:30 p.m. Sunday night, after a horrific drive through southeastern Minnesota and northeastern IA. He called me many times telling me of the cars he watched go off the road into ditches (one landing on it's roof, another slid into the bucket of the snowplow), and that the road conditions were absolutely terrible! They went through blowing snow, freezing rain, sleet, and then finally, clear dry roads as they headed south to me! I was so grateful they got here in one piece! I fed them all, and we got the babies eventually settled to bed around 11 p.m., after a quick run to Walmart for some baby ibuprofen for Justin's hurting ear (he had had a viral infection earlier the previous week and still had a cough etc).


The next day, Monday, Tony and I spent the morning waiting on faxes from Andrea as Justin continued to complain about his hurting ear, and we eventually were able to get him seen at a "minute clinic" in Walgreens, over in Fairview Heights, where they diagnosed a bad ear infection--both the inner and outer ear was infected, and he got antibiotics and drops for it. We also went to the mall, where the kids rode on a mini train (Justin was disappointed it wasn't "real big like my mall o' america!") and we literally wasted time waiting for the fax to get sent with all the medical insurance info for him. We got home a little after one, made lunch, and did naps!


Then we went outside! We found a ball, and had the swing, so we made do 'til the kids got home from school.

Then we went to the park, and what fun we had there! The park is huge, with lots to climb on, lots to run around, and lots to keep busy with! The kids loved it!

This has got to be one of my favorite pictures. I just wish I could turn it around correctly on here--it's correct in my "album" but won't upload correctly to my blog! Tony was sitting on top of this climbing wall, which is about six and a half feet off the ground, and he started yelling "help me, help me, I'm scared to get down!" and Justin ran over and said "I rescue you daddy! I catch you!" I couldn't stop laughing!

Justin got onto this bouncy rider and Aurora joined him, then daddy, then Unk Rei... He giggled uproariously as they bounced!
Justin was enamoured by all the climbing things at this park, and how high the slides were. We were blessed to have Aurora, Rei, Brie, and Cliff all there to help chase the kids (or have one at the top, one at the bottom) because things were so high up/spread out. It's a great park for kids though!
Little Miss loved the slides, and she loved romping through the tunnels. She also likes to climb, just like her dad, brother, and uncle!
Justin hopped from step to step, as Aurora and Rei chased Alexis under the bridges (she was just the right height to fit!). Boy did everyone sleep well Monday night! We stayed at the park until the rain started, then raced home to make dinner, have baths, and get ready for bed.
Tuesday was low-key for me and the kids; Tony took a road trip to Arkansas to see his "brother in arms", one of his buddy's from basic, who had been with him his entire tour--Germany, Iraq, and El Paso. He lives about 4 hours from us, and since it was "so close," Tony left at 4 am, getting up with Eric, and drove down. He got back to our house around 9:30 pm, and had had a fantastic time! They hadn't seen each other in over a year, and it was good they could reconnect with each other! In the meantime, the babies and I loaded car seats into the van and went to Target to get a few things we didn't have but needed: bubble bath and baby shampoo, a few more board books, and some toddler-sized silverware! Justin pointed out to me that I didn't have any silverware here that was small enough for him and his sister to use effectively, like I had had back in Minneapolis, so we needed to remedy that! Then we took a ride to some friend's of ours' house and borrowed some riding toys for the yard so the kids would have something to do outside.

Wednesday, Tony was excited to discover Eric had a Harley Davidson motorcycle in the garage that hadn't been ridden in years. He and Cliff took Wednesday to fix it and get it running again. Man does it sound good! Tony took Brie on her first motorcycle ride around the addition, and I cannot wait to try it out.
It's something I have really missed doing these last few years! I don't drive one myself, but I love being a passenger.
The kids loved me having a swing in the yard (thanks Auntie Jilly!), and we spent a number of hours in the yard swinging, blowing bubbles, and riding on the riding toys (as well as some in-depth conversations about airplanes, birds, dogs, and other things--as only 1.5 and 3.5 year olds can discuss....)
Wednesday also found Tony helping Reimond with his homework: he had to draw out an invention using simple mechanics to operate, and there was extra credit available if it got built! Tony and Rei went right to work and created a "machine" that will crack an egg and allow it to "drain" into a frying pan. It was very cool, and it worked! They had a ball! Then we got babies bathed and put to bed, and Tony and I met up with Eric at the bowling alley for a beer. We meandered over to a bar just outside of post and had a few more, shot some pool, and just had some fun being "adults" together. Tony was loving all the built in babysitter....
Bath time in Granpa Eric's bathroom was a big hit (and took about 30+ minutes to accomplish). We found kitchen items to make up for not having real tub toys, and they "made soup" and played 'til we were all soaked!

A cheap bottle of bubble soap made for many happy minutes of outdoor pleasure, and Justin became quite adept at blowing them! Alexis had to be watched pretty carefully as she tried to suck on the wand, and it didn't taste too good...

Our good friend "Miss Jennifer" loaned us the use of some riding toys her kids have outgrown and those added to the fun. The first few days they were here it was in the upper 70's and low 80's, although it then dropped to the upper thirties for these past couple of days. Today was mid 40's and warm in the sun, so we went out to play.

Alexis would get into one of the cars and start waving "by bye" and telling me ""Love you, later, soon!" as she pushed off with her feet. And Justin kept going "grocery shopping" for ice cream. They have such vivid imaginations, and I love listening to them play!
Justin helped me to make cookies one afternoon while Alexis napped, and he cracked me up: after licking the spoons, and having 2 (or was it 3) warm cookies, he meandered up to the island as I stood talking to Eric, hooked his fingers over the edge of it, looked right, then left, then snagged a cookie off the cooling rack and beat feet back into the living room with his prize! It was the funniest thing I have seen in a long time!

Justin found some legos in the boy's room and he made numerous "setups" for the hot wheels cars on the living room floor. He played for hours with those things! Takes after his daddy and his uncle in his love of building and constructing. He and Alexis also really enjoyed coloring, and watching cartoons, and being entertained by the big kids.

Alexis had her baby doll here, along with a small easter bunny and chick I had bought for the kids at Target; she nicked a shoebox for her baby's bed, and here she is trying to cover the baby with tissues... I did give her a dish towel for that purpose, which she really enjoyed. She found Eric's stuffed pig from Christmas, and kept calling it a cow and making it mooo, and she called Aurora "Dora" most of the time (she LOVES Dora the Explorer). Justin called Aurora "Rora". It took a little bit for Alexis to warm up to Eric as he was in and out so much, but she loved the big kids, and her and Justin were quite happy with being entertained and spoiled.
The dogs did ok with the kids; Alexis came up to the tip of Po's nose, but she stood up to him and pointed her finger in his face and said "Back up dog!" when he was in her way (she copied us telling the dogs to back away from the door when we come in the house). Midnight she was afraid of, and he growled at her a number of times, but the other two generally did fine. My cats are used to the kids and tolerated the "loving" quite well, but Pekeiko was another story (she peed in the kids duffle bag, twice! during their stay). It was fun hearing Alexis say her name tho'. She says Pekeiko clearly, but Batman is "Mattman".
Tony left today, a day and a half earlier than I had planned on; some things came up at home and he felt he needed to head back. It was really hard to see him leave, and Justin didn't want to go. (He is "my" boy and would stay with me anywhere, anytime). He told his dad he was "staying here with Gram, unk Rei and the others," and when Tony said "so your sister and I should go home to see mommy and leave you here?" he replied, "No, Lexis can stay too." He was NOT happy to leave here. I cried when they left. I have really enjoyed their being here! It was noisy, chaotic, and crazy at times; the dogs did some marking that ticked me off (not sure if it was because of the added stress or new smells, or what...), but in general it was so much fun to have them here. Tony rested and napped a bit, he did a fantastic job of cleaning up my kitchen and living room for me last night. He was a huge help to me and I loved having him here. I cannot wait until he comes back again!

No comments: