Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fool's Day, 2009

Actually it doesn't seem so foolish down here, in lovely southwestern IL. We have blue skies, sunshine, and temps in the mid 60's. I just got home from work, opened up a few windows, and thought I would post a few thoughts, then get on with making the house company ready! Liisa's good friend Tesa is on her way here from MN with a truck, taking her and her husband's worldly possessions from there to their new duty station in TX. Then my wonderful Mother-in-Law is coming Friday to spend a day or two with us enroute to St Louis for her Mother's 99th birthday. So general tidying needs to get done, and the beds made. Nothing too onerous.

I am really enjoying working at Joann's. The store officially opened on Friday, and I have worked Sunday, Tuesday, and today, 4 hours each day. It took a little bit of refresher on using the scanner-ma-bobber thingy we use, and I still don't have it totally down, but overall I am enjoying the customers, liking the work involved, and spend most of my time at the cutting table. I haven't been on the cash register at all and I am sure that will be something I really need practice on. I have made a few small purchases, but so far have been fiscally responsible in not abusing my store discount or buying anything and everything that looks appealing.

The new term is in full swing for the kids, and hopefully will be productive for them. Rei continues to have issues with his science teacher and I will be sending an email to his S.E. liason for some support for him. It is getting frustrating because we should have a text book here at home for him and we don't, so it's hard to help him where he needs help. It's been an interesting experience learning to navigate the school system here, and while I still miss some things about the schools in Minneapolis, I do think the kids are getting a good education. That's what counts most I guess.

Eric is home from school, and we are gonna eat lunch, then he needs to nap before his work shift tonight (which means I need to get going on stripping and remaking the bed). Things are going fine here for us, with nothing major to write about, so I guess I will move forward with my afternoon!

No comments: