Sunday, April 26, 2009

The weekend is over and we survived it!

I say that somewhat tongue in cheek, because it has been a full weekend, with lots going on. Yesterday I got up at 7 am to shower and get ready for the day, was picked up at 7:45 by some friends of ours, and was dropped off at the service station, where I sat on their "park bench" outside their front door, drank my coffee, read my book, and knitted for 2 hours straight! I had called them Friday as I got off of work to check on the status of the van's repairs and was told it was about 60% done, and to check back around 4ish to see where they were at. At 4:30 I was told they were approximately 90% done, but that it wouldn't be done before they closed (at 6 pm) and they could promise me "before noon" on Saturday. I told them I couldn't wait until noon as I had to be to work at 10:30, so they said they would do their best... Eric worked all Friday overnight, and then had class on Saturday morning, hence my needing a ride to the shop, and my "camping out" on their doorstep... They brought it out to me just before 10, and it ran perfectly! I was so thrilled! Even better, the "damage" wasn't as bad as we were originally told for the estimate, and with the military discount, was acceptable (with much deep breathing, lol). They had to replace the intake gasket, which was leaking coolant onto the plugs and wires, causing them to arc and misfire; I was significantly low on coolant, and the job was a 6-6.5 hour job just for labor. As Eric said though, there was no way we could have bought a reliable beater at that price, with a guarentee that it would not need something else as soon as we turned our back.

I left the repair shop and headed to work, arriving just at 10:30, after stopping to get gas. I needed to change into my work clothes, and put on makeup, which worked out fine for me, as my demo didn't start until 11 am, and they already had the tables all set up--outside the front door! I punched in about 10:40, and worked out of doors, in the hot sun and wind, for 4.5 solid hours! I got cooked! My arms are sunburnt right around my elbows (up to where my short sleeves ended) and the v-neck of my chest is also bright red. My nose also got quite red, and my freckles are "popping." I was responsible for demonstrating and supervising the kids as they made little "foamie"creations--a picture frame or little "S'more-men" figurines. The wind was NOT helpful at all--made the day more bearable, but blew the tiny pieces everywhere! I felt like I needed at least 3 hands to hold things down, while still trying to instruct the kids how to make them, and then we had issues with the glue we had not holding real well either... The frames were a hit, but the marshmellow dudes were another story. On top of all of that, we had Radio Disney there across from us on the front sidewalk, and they were really loud! They gave away some fun things, but didn't necessarily get the turnout that management was hoping for. Still, it seemed like the grand opening was a success--there were certainly lots of customers going in and out, and lots of bags as they left. I came home hot, tired, and sticky!

Saturday night Eric had to work again, and I had to run and get a few groceries--thank goodness we had the van back! We were totally out of milk, oj, and butter! I also got some beer (for the house, and as a thank you for our friends who took the time to drive me) and the fixings for making BLTs for dinner... Summertime food! The kids were in and out given the beautiful weather, and I personally tried to make it an early night.

Eric got home at 7 and went straight to bed, but again it was hot and sticky (despite my putting a fan on him and having the window open for the breeze--too soon in the season to run the central air). He was up at 10 am, and couldn't sleep. We ended up having a long discussion with Brie and Cliff about the vehicles and driving/gas/usage expectation, with mixed results. What they ended up hearing/understanding is that while the van is here to be driven now that it's fixed, it is NOT to be taken joy-riding, or for numerous non-essential trips. That means that runs to the mall etc. are fine, but not multiple runs back and forth, and it also means that if you use it, you replace the gas you use--whether it's a couple dollars or filling the tank. I am burnt out on filling the tank only to make one or two trips, then filling it again after they have been all over town and bringing it back to me on Empty. There was some arguements/defensiveness/blaming going on, and we worked hard to defuse it, but it was tense at a few points too. I put it down to people being upset, overtired, and stressed. It ended up peacefully and Eric napped/dozed a bit before heading to work tonight. In the meantime, I made a wonderful Sunday dinner of Roast Chicken, potato salad, and fresh fruit... Eric ate here before leaving and took left overs with him for later too.

Tonight I have spent finishing up knitting on my spring sweater. All the pieces are done, but I need to figure out what I am going to block them on (it's lace) before I can sew it together and knit on the button and neck bands... I found a pattern online for making a good sized blocking board, and that may be my best option, as anything premade is either too small or too expensive. I need to think on this a bit more before I jump in. Regardless, I cannot finish the sweater til I block it.

I also talked to MN tonight at length: my Mom, my daughter, and my son. I am so proud of Liisa and Tony both, and the adults they have become! Liisa is loving her AGM position, and stayed on tonight to help her housekeeping staff finish stripping down and cleaning rooms after a big weekend at the hotel. She said her staff were surprised she was jumping right in with them and working along side them, but she has learned that the best way to lead is by example. Tony too had a weekend of demonstrating his leadership skills. He is now active Reserve (Army), as he got "recalled" to duty, and he had a drill weekend this weekend. He was tapped by his Sargent to teach a class that he was only given 24 hours to prepare for, and he did it with flying colors; he was also asked to go over/teach some other things as well, and he shared his knowledge and experiences with the reservists who were there. He was told by his Sargent that he should hold to the high standards that he learned as active duty Army, and that he could be an example/role model to the reservists and help bring up the standards there to what he is used to. I was so proud! As much as he has struggled with authority over the years, Tony like the discipline and regimentation of the military and he carries himself with such pride when in uniform. I may be a sap, but it makes me so proud of him and what he stands for! When I look at the adults Liisa and Tony have become it reaffirms for me that I did the best job I could in raising them, and that the things that I value and tried to instill in them have taken root. It gives me hope that Rei will turn out well too, and that I can hopefully have a positive influence on the other kids too as they grow and mature.

Eric is on the phone, and I just realized it's later than I thought. Guess it's time to get ready for bed and chat with my sweetie.

No comments: