Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Still riding that yo-yo...

I got a call from Andrea a little bit ago that they have scheduled Alexis' surgery, for Monday.  I checked out airfare to see if I could be there with them (although driving is an option too) and I could get a round trip ticket for under $200 if I fly Saturday to Tuesday.  Then I called work to check on my hours, because while I know I am scheduled for Saturday, I was not sure of the rest of the weekend/next week.  The Manager on duty heard me out and said she'd look to see if it is even possible to get off, because I am on the schedule for Saturday through Tuesday, and I am scheduled to teach Tuesday (although I don't think I have any students lined up as yet for that class).  I am guessing I probably won't be able to go, and it makes me sad.  I know in my heart Alexis will come through the surgery fine, but Andrea is scared to death, and who can blame her? Her dad had kidney issues because of his diabetes, and he had been on long term dialysis before he died; of course this is scary to her and raises all sorts of concerns and fears, rational and irrational. The MoD said she'd call me back in a bit, so I am waiting, but I am not optomistic about it at all.  They are down to bare-bones scheduling to meet payroll and so forth, and I am blessed to have the hours; I don't want to screw up my job or my standing.  Still, my heart is with my family in MN and this just highlights for me how hard it is to be so far away.

I am tired of sitting here and feeling sorry for myself.  Time to do the next item on my list and give my thoughts a break.

No comments: