Thursday, November 19, 2009

Day 2 of Swine Flu...

I was so frustrated last night.  I waited for Eric to get home from the bowling alley so I wasn't leaving Rei home alone while he was so sick, and headed for Walmart to pick up his prescription.  I was dumbfounded to discover that the pharmacy closed at 9!  It's a 24 hour Walmart supercenter, so I had assumed it would be open til at least 10 pm....  I was so upset!  I didn't call the doctor back and request he call it in elsewhere, because I am still new enough down here that I am still not familiar enough with who has a 24 hour pharmacy and who doesn't.  I went over this morning and picked it up (Tamiflu), and fortunately, even with the delays, it is still in the 48 hour window of it being effective (although it's closer than I would like...).  He is still running fevers topping 102.xxx and he is feeling like he's been hit by a large semi.  I called the cardiologist today and they have rescheduled his appointment now for December 11th; what a shock they don't want him in the office tomorrow!  I also called the church to cancel the kid's serving on Sunday because with the incubation period being so  unknown, I didn't want to take chances with safety, and the Pastor was very supportive of that (I talked to her on the phone this morning).  The school too said he is NOT welcome back until he is fever-free and unmedicated for 24 hours.  I will be running over there tomorrow to pick up his homework assignments.

I was thinking that it's possible Brie had some form of it just ahead of Rei.  She too had gotten sick pretty rapidly, and felt like she had been run over, although she didn't run a fever, and now, 4 days or so later, is rapidly on the mend.  She had a flu shot though at AIT so that potentially mitigated the severity of her symptoms.  I just hope the rest of us stay healthy!  Eric has had both the flu and the h1n1 vaccines and I think he is pretty protected.  Not so much for the rest of us though.

Eric is now officially done with his term and he is breathing a sigh of relief.  He has another 3 classes next term, that starts the beginning of December, with a break for the holidays, and this potentially is the end of it for him. My class goes through mid-December, so I need to stay focused and on-task.

That is the update from here for today!  Stay healthy!

UPDATE:
Today has been a fairly rough day for Rei in that he's felt sicker than yesterday (as evidenced by the fact that he's primarily laid in bed and slept--no videos/dvds playing at all).  He was up and moving for about an hour and a half late this afternoon but quickly returned to bed.  His temp is around 100.xx when the ibuprofen is in his system, but quickly climbs back up to 102.xx as it wears off.  Here's to hoping tomorrow is a better day for Bingo.

No comments: