Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy Veteran's day!

Wow.  I never realized until I started thinking about it how many veterans I really have in my life.  There are the obvious ones, like my husband and my son (although he, like Brianne, is in the National Guard/Reserves), my father and grandfather, some uncles, a cousin, and many of my kid's friends, not to mention living in a military community...  It takes someone special to serve, especially when the world is so unstable, and I am so proud of, and grateful to those who have chosen to do this, whether as a vocation, avocation, or a personal commitment.  Thank you Vets and active duty!  I am so very proud of you!

I had an amazingly short work day today.  I went in, I punched in, and 5 minutes later, I punched out!  They decided they didn't need me today, and in fact, had not realized I was even on the schedule til I got there!  Oh well, it has been a productive day for me--I have been working on homework (2 looooonngg chapters to read and understand, research articles to look up that support the concepts, and assignments to write).  I am breaking it into steps so that I can process the various ideas (Rational-Emotive-Behavioral-Therapy and Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy), and of course, how they compare and contrast with previously studied theories and systems of application.  It's coming along, and I am sloooowly making headway on it.  My reading glasses are proving their worth today!

I also snuck in a little cross stitching, which felt wonderful to pick up for about a half hour.  It was a part of my giving myself a break to think things through.  I am continuing on "How does your garden grow" and still am emamoured with the colors and specialty stitches.  They make it go so much faster than straight cross stitch!  I had agreed to sew up a fleece jacket for a co-worker at the fabric store (she doesn't sew!  How odd!) and I also agreed to sew up some pajamas for another co-worker's daughter as a part of her leadership project for Girl Scouts (the female version of the Eagle award).  I will be using the back up machine for those, as I am slowly coming to the conclusion that it is silly to try and pour more money into my old machine when it is clearly outdated.  Time to start saving for a new one!

All the kids are home today, as there is no school for the holiday.  It is one of the few things I do appreciate about small town living.  They do at times remember to honor the things that are important in life.  In Minneapolis, school is going on without interruption, or even any rememberance of what today is all about.  They are gathered in the living room playing games, watching movies, and hanging out with each other.  It is kinda nice to see!

Ok, break time is over and the books need me...

No comments: