Sunday, November 1, 2009

The start of a new month, and hopefully a new attitude as well...

I love it when daylight's savings time ends...  I feel so much more rested, and I love waking with the sun coming in the bedroom window.  Having sunshine again has been balm to my battered moods.  My doctor's appointment for the meds is on the 12th, but just something as simple as being able to be outside for a bit, and basking in sunlight helps my mood and spirits to bounce back.  I also really like my readers!  It is so nice to see the page without shifting the book or my glasses to see the words clearly, and to have things no longer doubled over or fuzzy on the left is amazing!
We had a huge turnout of kids here for trick or treating,  Eric had bought a ton of candy and I actually ran out after the first hour!  Brie ran to walmart for more, and that too was gone shortly before 8 p.m. when the "town sanctioned" event ended...  I took a little time before the kids started coming and decorated the table in front of the house with Halloween paraphenalia, and I sat with my crocheting next to the table to hand out the treats.  We had a nice selection of wee ones through teens--lots of star wars and ninjas this year, along with the requisite princesses, fairies and witches; the scary movie contingent was here, and there were NOT too many teens wearing street clothes with a hint of face makeup out just looking for handouts (although I did get one mom, in full getup, say to me "I look 12 don't I?" and giggled...  I gave her one miniature candy bar because I wasn't gonna get into it with her...)  There were a few middle school girls who looked "whore-ish" and I wondered what their mothers were thinking in letting them go out like that, and there were a few kids that should have had jackets or sweatshirts on for warmth (it was a chilly night--maybe upper 40's/low 50's?) But overall I really enjoyed it and was so glad to be home handing out treats!  The picture above is Justin and Alexis at Liisa's.  He was Peter Pan and had a "really big sword" (I have a pic on my cell phone showing the sword), and she was Tinkerbell...  I had bought them treat bags--which sat in the car filled with toys apparently--because the pumpkin buckets were for candy!  (and no, my feelings weren't hurt--I found it amusing that they have their own ideas about things!)

Rei got home from the skate park in Belleville in time to go to a few houses for treats; generally I don't approve of older teens trick or treating, but around here (as in most places) some of them still go.  Brie put on her fairy costume from last year but quickly changed as she was too chilly, and Patrick and Aurora were at a marching band competition and parade.  They got home around 11:30 last night and they took a 2nd and a 3rd place in the competitions.  Eric and I played a little Everquest, and it was a low-key night for us.  He and I are probably headed to church for 10, and then today is going to be focused on chores.  (I had left a list for yesterday when I was at work, and NOTHING got done on it!)

I am so excited to start a new quilt I am going to be making.  I got a few more fabrics for it yesterday when I was at work, and I bought a new rotary cutting mat--my old one was so chewed up that the lines were grooved into it.  Got a 24"x 36" one (by fiskars, not Olfa) for $11.99--the Olfa ones run $40 for that size!  I still need one or two more fabrics for it (borders and such), but those are not necessary to the body of the work, so I can start it when I am ready to.  I just need to get my sewing machine in to the repair shop again (and perhaps just trade it in for a newer model) because it bound up on me again, then blew the safety fuse, so now it won't turn on at all!  I have a spare machine I can use, but it is like driving a Yugo after having used a cadillac for the last 15 years...  It works, but.....  My head is full of ideas for things I want to make and I really need to start dedicating specific blocks of time to different things--like setting up an office planner with appointments.  I can do this and it will make me happy! (I am trying to be realistic too about what I can or cannot accomplish before the holidays).

So the plan for today is school work for an hour or so, church, then setting up the sewing room to be user-friendly so I can start cutting stuff out and using it, working on mine and Eric's laundry (his uniforms need washing, lol), and cracking the whip on the kids to help with the floors and their messes in the living room...  Gonna be a full day today!

1 comment:

Deb said...

did you get the readers from the store or are dedicated ones spendy from the eye dr?