Friday, November 6, 2009

Friday's musings.

It has been a long week.  I work all weekend, as does Eric, and I have accomplished a lot on my days off, but I am behind on my homework assignments for the week and that is really bothering me.  I have gotten bogged down in the details of homelife and I have allowed my stressors to overpower my common sense.  I need to buckle down tonight and play catchup, which sucks, because I really like my Friday night TV--especially Ghost Whisperer and Medium.  Numbers, I have heard, have numbered days and they may be bringing back Flashpoint, which I really like and was sad they had dropped.  Oh well, I have to do what I have to do!

I worked today and it was so slow at first, then got wild.  Not sure what everyone is buying, but they were shopping!  I worked 8-1, then I had to run to the mall; one of my pairs of glasses was in, and I am happy to have them.  They are wonderful!  I see things so clearly now, and I am just in awe at how nice it is to see clearly.  The other pair I ordered had the lenses come in, but one lens was pitted/flawed so they had to return it and have it remade.  Still, one pair is better than none, and I am satisfied.  Then I had to make a run to T-mobile to get a new phone,  as Rei closed Cliff's car door on his and broke the screen.  Not being able to see text messages or phone numbers is the end of the world for a 15 year old, so I gave in and got the phone I really wanted and gave him my 2 month old one.  It hurt to have to pay full price for a phone (he didn't qualify for an upgrade until May, and I used mine in August) but we both have something we want, and I am grateful I was able to do it.  Now I am done with spending for awhile (a good long while) and while I had hoped to buy an Asian Ball Jointed Doll (there is one I have fallen in love with) a phone was a priority whereas a doll isn't.  I will get the doll eventually I hope.

The shooting at Fort Hood yesterday hit really close to home for all of us.  Liisa's friend Tesa and her husband are stationed there.  Fortunately, Hunter had the day off and was home with her (they live off-post, sharing an apartment with some friends).  We don't know if anyone close to them was affected or not, but being part of a military community things like this are scary for all of us because they could happen anywhere, at any time.  We are keeping the folks down there in our prayers.  We have a bunch of family members "up north" headed out for deer hunting this weekend as well, so I hope everyone pays attention and stays safe. 

Aurora did go to her mother's for the weekend.  We had initially said she couldn't go when return transportation was not arranged (it had been suggested we arrange to fly her back from Chicago's O'Hare if we couldn't drive up to get her) but after many heated discussions we were told that she would be brought home Sunday night, and Aurora was told she needed to go.  Aurora was very upset she had to miss being a delegate to the Model UN event that was held at Southeastern Missouri University yesterday, as her mom called the school and excused her from attending without consulting with Aurora or any of us. That too had been a sticking point, especially for Aurora, as she had worked really hard to gain her place on the team and she didn't want to miss out on this obligation.  Today is her 16th birthday, and I hope she has a happy one.  She has been text-messaging with us off and on throughout the day, and is happy that the phone is now hers alone (Patrick bought his own cell phone now that he has a regular pay check and he has is own "bill" on Eric's plan).  I truly hope she had a good day today, and that the weekend goes smoothly for her.  She really wanted to spend it here at home with friends and family.

Eric is off to work for the night, and is on all weekend 6 pm to 6 am.  I too work all weekend: 3-8 tomorrow afternoon/evening, and 1-6 on Sunday.  Then I work Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, and I am teaching a class for 3 hours on Saturday morning.  Gotta love the girl scouts!  I think that will be a lot of fun!  12 scouts, 3 adult helpers, and the troop leader.  They are making some things out of polar fleece. Patrick too is working all weekend, and from what I just heard, Brie has plans to go out tonight.  Sounds like it's gonna be just Rei and I home tonight for the most part! 

Eric and I had a meeting with Rei's case manager at the high school on Thursday afternoon.  I felt it went very well and it really helped to reassure me that I am on the right track with things.  It also let the school know that Eric and I ARE invested in Rei's education and meeting his needs there at the school.  She is going to put in place a meeting for me to set up a behavioral intervention plan for Rei so that he stops being punished for his ADHD (in other words so that there is a process and we are all on the same page).  I do NOT have a problem with his being called on the carpet and having consequences for behaviors that are out of line or inappropriate, but being told he cannot draw as a coping mechanism is just not fair--especially if he has nothing else available to him to do in it's stead.  I felt the meeting was productive, I voiced my concerns, and I was able to be an advocate for my son.  And they too followed through to be sure they are in compliance with his IEP stuff, which is really important to me!  As I said at the start, it has been a productive week but it has also been a stressful one.

Pekeiko is in heat again, oh joy...  So tired of the yowling!  And Midnight is being protective of the bedroom as she stalks it for Batman...  Gonna be an interesting night from what I can see!  I hope everyone has a good weekend!  I know mine is going to continue to be hard on a few levels, but I hope it will continue to be productive...

1 comment:

d said...

glad that things are better. what kind of phone did you get?