Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Sometimes I wish I had gotten my MD....

My husband will say I am being reactive, and he'd be right, but I put in a call to Rei's doctor a little bit ago because last night he got sick pretty suddenly (had been out Christmas shopping with Brie all afternoon, was animated and fine at dinnertime, but about 2 hours later was holding his chest complaining of how badly it was burning and was coughing a dry tight cough...) I initially thought asthma, because Eric had boiled a pan dry on the stove, and the plastic handle on the lid started to melt--it was noxious smelling downstairs! I took his temp, normal, gave him some ibuprofen and a neb treatment, and he went to bed (at 8 p.m.).  I woke him for a neb at midnight, per his request, and then he had another at 6:15 this morning.  He had a "temp" of 99.5, so it was iffy, but he felt lousy--his chest was still really achy and he didn't feel well, so we kept him home.  Did another neb at noon, checked his temp early afternoon because he had the chills really bad, but no fever; then about an hour ago he asked me for some ice cold water and when I looked at him he was really flushed and feverish looking--his temp was 102.7.  My guess is he has a virus; Brie was/is sick with something, but it hasn't really laid her up too terribly badly (she has a cough and some achiness, but no fever and hasn't really stayed lying down too much), so my guess is Rei has something similar.  But he hasn't had either flu shot (annual or h1n1) so I am nervous.  He is in a high risk group because of his asthma.  And he is a teen. And I listen to the news. So I am being an overprotective, over-reactive mom, and I called the doctor's after-hours service and am waiting for a call back...  Why do I assume the worst?

I knew he was sick though when there was no arguement over needing to stay in bed all day and not run the stairs, play around or goof off.  He says his body really aches (could be the fever talking) and he has the chills really bad.  His chest is tight and achy too, and his cough is tight but dry; he doesn't have any "head cold" type symptoms, but he says his throat feels "tight", whatever that means.  Anyhow, as I await the call back I am sharing my concerns.  Not to alarm anyone, but just to get them off my chest/mind... 

I got over the effects of the food poisoning by Monday morning; I spent Monday and Tuesday doing some misc. running around because I had some issues with prescriptions at the base pharmacy and had to run back to the clinic for new rxs--one was a date issue on Rei's med (I told them I would pick it up in Thursday, they dated it the Monday I called; it was expired on Monday when I tried to fill it), and they don't carry the antidepressant I had wanted to be on at the base pharmacy, so I had to get a different rx for one they do carry...  Lots of running!  It's all straightened around now though, so all is good on that front.

This is Eric's last week of classes for the term, so he has been scrambling to get work finished up and turned in.  He got frustrated with some of it so decided to go to bowling tonight (it is his week to bowl Wednesday; next week he bowls Tuesday). Plus he had an appointment with Aurora to get her new balls drilled.   So they and Brie headed to the bowling alley just a bit ago. Patrick just took off to go to a heavy metal concert of some sort with some friend of his over in St. Louis.  It's not a national act (I don't think) and is playing at a bar/grill just across the river.  We left the decision up to him as to whether he should go or not, after laying out all our concerns (it being a school night, his being up past midnight last night after working til 10, his working tomorrow night after school); It all fell on deaf ears and off he went. So it is just Rei and I home.  So much for my planning anything major for dinner!  I will probably do soup again (had soup and a sandwich for lunch too). Or maybe I will just make up one package of hamburger helper for me and wrap the left overs for Eric and I for lunches over the next few days.

I was a bit distressed to realize that I have a major project due by NOON on the Monday after Thanksgiving.  I work in retail, so obviously I won't have that weekend to work on it...  I am not sure what my schedule will be for next week so I have to do as much as I can this weekend and early next week.  I will need to have it done by Thanksgiving.  We won't be having our Thanksgiving meal til Friday anyway--and Eric and the kids will need to cook it, as I will be working at least part of the day (Eric works Wed. and Thurs. overnight that week, so will be sleeping in the morning and working that night).  The syllabus said the project wasn't due til the 11th of December, but he, as the instructor, has the right to set his own deadlines for things.  Blech! So I too have been studying hard this week along with Eric.  My paper has to be no more than 20 pages, excluding references.  I can do it, but it takes some planning and I thought I had more time...  Oh well.

My reference to the above and wishing I had gotten my MD: I was premed in college when I first started out, and then discovered I liked Psych better than the maths/sciences needed for med school.  Still, there are times I regret I hadn't gone for it, especially when my kid is sick and I feel helpless to help him. Say a prayer if you would be so kind, or think good thoughts.  I am fairly sure I am over-reacting, but then again...

Deep breath in.......  and out......  and relax.....

I just got off the phone with the doctor and he is of the opinion that it IS swine flu, as that is currently the only thing going around that he is aware of.  He is calling in a prescription for something (my guess is Tamiflu) and I will go pick it up in a little while. Change in plans for Patrick too.  The friend that invited him to the concert left without him, and plan B also fell through, so he too is now home for the night.  He isn't happy about it, but I think it may be for the best.  I'm sorry he's disappointed though, and that his friend wasn't so good a friend tonight.

More later on if need be!

No comments: